Assistant Director Anita Kemmerer, AB1QB, writes on the Mentoring and New Ham Development mailing list:
Thanks to all who attended the kickoff meeting. It was a great start to our working group!
The meeting recording is available at https://nediv.arrl.org/
We had some great presentations by Dan Norman, N0HF, Bob Beaudet, W1YRC, and Bob Phinney, K5TEC, about their Mentoring programs.
We discussed some quick wins including providing the following resources for new hams on our website:
- Information on mentoring programs provided by clubs across New England
- Information on licensing classes in New England
- Links to recorded training programs provided by New England clubs
- A listing of clubs that provide membership offers to new hams
Sections have been added to https://nediv.arrl.org/
We also had a productive brainstorming session for projects or presentations for the working group including the following:
- Support for the Ham Radio Display at the Big E
- Promotion of mentoring programs
- Nets to help new hams build confidence on repeaters
- Making licensing and mentoring resources available to clubs in isolated areas in New England
- Developing volunteers in your club to teach or mentor
- Providing resources for clubs to teach classes
- Roadmap for engaging schools interested in ham radio
We will be holding these meetings monthly and I’m looking for presenters for the April meeting. If you would like to share your mentoring program with a presentation at a future meeting, please email me with information about your presentation at email@example.com.