After a successful 2021 marathon this past October, we’re right back into planning mode for the 126th running of the Boston Marathon at our more traditional time frame on Monday, April 18, 2022.
Volunteer registration will open for the Marathon on January 5th, 2022. Please make sure to whitelist email@example.com to make sure you receive all BAA communications.
How to Volunteer
For returning volunteers, you will receive an email from the BAA with a direct link to register via the BAA Athlete’s Village.
If you haven’t previously volunteered, or have a friend who would like to volunteer, please go directly to the Volunteer Registration page on January 5th and follow the instructions for new volunteers.
Guidance on the Sign Up Process
- On Step 3 – Select “General”
- On Step 4 – Select “Yes, I am an Amateur Radio Operator”
- Provide your call sign and what your equipment is in the appropriate boxes.
- On Step 5 – Select “Apply as an Individual”
- On Step 6
- Select “Amateur Radio” as the Job Type regardless of what segment you wish to volunteer for.
- On the next page you will be able to select the race segment.
- If you want to add additional ARO assignment preferences select “Yes” to select another job and then an assignment type. You can choose up to 3 job type requests.
- On Step 7 – Confirm all selections are correct.
A few notes for volunteers:
- Almost all ARO positions are single person assignments. We are not able to group people on a single assignment, but we will try to accommodate which segment you are assigned to to allow for similar start/end times.
- All volunteers must be fully vaccinated this year. Details on how to provide proof of vaccination will be provided when assignments are given out. Medical exemptions may be requested and will be reviewed by the BAA individually.
Don’t delay! Volunteer registration closes on Friday, February 18. Help us get the word out by forwarding this email to your club and other amateur radio operators who wish to volunteer. Most volunteers first learn about the event through word of mouth. If you know new licensees who might like to join us, please make sure to let them know about it. Even just a quick mention at your club meeting can be a big help.
If you have any questions about the upcoming volunteer registration period, or the 2022 Marathon generally, please get in touch anytime. Volunteering at the Marathon is a big job and we appreciate the time and effort everyone puts into it. We’re happy to do what we can to make your work fun, comfortable, and effective.
We look forward to seeing everyone again soon.
Thank you, and 73,
Boston Marathon Communications Committee